Friday, February 10, 2012

A Little More Mascara...

What a treat! I had the pleasure of seeing the national tour production of La Cage Aux Folles at The Kennedy Center and I must say it was one of the most entertaining shows I have ever seen! There were a couple of parts that seemed a little unpolished (heads turning different directions at different times, some messy footwork, etc.), but it was a matinee performance so we'll chalk it up to not being fully awake... not to mention I am probably one of the only people who noticed because I am so used to looking for things like that. We performers and directors can't help it, it is what we do. The cast starred George Hamilton as Georges and Christopher Sieber as Albin and was rounded out by a very adept cast of dancers and singers! Mr. Hamilton is still chugging along in his later years and it was a pleasure to see him do it. One girl, Allison Blair McDowell (Anne) certainly caught my attention also. A very cute girl, totally the wide-eyed ingenue type, who was making her professional debut with this show just seemed so genuinely excited to be a part of this production. It was very endearing to watch. I also LOVED all of the little old ladies in the audience that day! It was totally the Politician's Wives Club outing of the week and I have never seen so much animal print or smelled so much hairspray in my life!

I also have some audition news (so you all can start crossing your fingers for me now, okay thanks!). Tomorrow I have an audition for Oliver! at the Compass Rose Studio Theatre in Annapolis. I have auditioned for this company before, so hopefully someone will remember me and maybe I will get in this time! The other audition is for a new adaptation of Red Riding Hood with Olney Theatre Company. I would be VERY excited to work with OTC, especially on this show because I think it is more along the direction I would like to take my career, but i would certainly be happy with booking either!

Also have some photography related news. Those of you who have kept up with my blogs know that I started this blog to bridge the gap between my passion for acting and my eye in photography, and that I have had some success with doing a bit of theatre photography in the DC area (thanks Studio Theatre and Arena Stage!). I am devising a collection of dance photographs to begin tackling the dance scene in the DC area also. I think dance is one of the most beautiful and expressive art forms and that dancers are the perfect blend of athleticism and art. I have dabbled in dance photography before, and it has always been secondary when shooting live theatre performances, particularly in musicals. I think this could be a really great thing for me to do! I am hoping to cast some dancers for a few shoots over the next few months to really get a start on this portfolio and I hope that I will be able to post some of the photos here soon! Also, if any of you know of any nice studio spaces with lots of natural light that I could rent, or some really strong, trained dancers with good technique, please let me know. Here's an oldie!





All images owned and copyrighted by Scotty Beland.

No comments:

Post a Comment