Thursday, July 8, 2010

No Business Like Show Business

Helloooooooo blogosphere!

I have not written anything on here for quite some time, so this is me checking in. Much has happened over the past month, and I have been relatively busy, but I am here now and that is all that matters.

...Spelling Bee has come to a close after a well-received and successful three weekend run for considerably less-than-packed audiences who made up for the short-coming of turn-out with loads of applause and laughter. This was the review given to us by the folks at ShowBiz Radio.
www.showbizradio.net/2010/06/01/review-tcp-spelling-bee/. Although a few points were assumed and not actually valid, the review is fairly accurate. I would also like to mention that I personally got a great review, which makes me really happy because I had only rehearsed the role for a week and a half. I could not be prouder of my cast for their exceptional review and performances over those few weeks! I will definitely miss you all!

In terms of the whole schpiel with Wildwood Summer Theatre, I did go to the auditions for Merrily We Roll Along, the replacement production for A Chorus Line. I did not end up participating in the show itself, however, because a new and better opportunity had opened up. I was offered the position of Choreographer for a production of Reefer Madness with STROyKA Theatre! This would have to be one of my favorite shows, regardless of it's shortcomings in terms of script and music and overall over-the-top, kitschy theatre. In all honesty, the over-the-top, kitschiness is exactly what makes the show so appealing for me. It requires a lot of energy and something is always happening to keep the audience interested. I also believe that the show itself has reached a platform of being a cult classic, like that of Rocky Horror and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. BUT... another travesty was about to strike. The day after I had choreographed the piece I was going to teach at auditions and e-mailed the director about it, I got an e-mail saying that the rights had been pulled. Foiled, yet again, by technicality! Luckily, I had not been truly and completely attached to the position or the show yet, so it did not kill me inside as much as ACL had. It's still heart-breaking, though, for lack of a better word.

Given all these signs, I have decided to take a bit of a break from auditioning for anything for about 6 months. I'll be graduating in December, so it is probably for the better in order to focus on school and developing a truly KICKASS portfolio and keeping my grades up. Speaking of which, I should be getting my portfolio review paperwork back very soon so keep your fingers crossed that I passed! Please and thanks. Although I may have decided to take a break for auditioning and participating in mainstage performances for a stint, I will probably be spending more time reading and writing, and probably taking some lessons and working on becoming better as an all-around performer. After a recent visit to NYU to stay with my dear friend and sitting in on one of her rehearsals, I realize that I do not work hard enough. I have just as much raw talent, I just have to work to make myself better than everyone else. On a side note, I commend all the people in that studio that day on the work they have put forth so far... I have a lot of faith in your potentially ground-breaking, very interesting original work. While I was visiting, my dearest friend Peggy-Sue Boone... or... Sylvia... or whatever character she is at this moment in time... made a short, silent film. It actually turned out pretty interesting and it was my first experience with filmmaking, which was cool: AKA I really enjoyed it. Maybe it will be posted here soon??? Guess you'll have to check back to find out!

'Til then, PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment