Friday, January 21, 2011

A Change Gon' Come

Okay sooooo the title should give this away a little bit, but in my last post I mentioned an audition. I got cast and I'm ironically happy to announce that I will be the Slave Overseer/Officer Riley in The Finest! Youth Performance Troupe's A Change Gon' Come! The piece is an African-American gospel play, complete with music and dance numbers, written by local equity actress Kashi-Tara Barrett. The play centers around a black woman who lives in the present and does not embrace her culture as much as she should, and once asked to write a speech about Harriet Tubman she has a dream that takes her back into the slave era embodied as Harriet Tubman. It is a VERY dramatic show, but is also extremely uplifting in the end. The character I play in the first act is unlike my typical casting. For one, it is dramatic and not the romantic lead, or comedic. Secondly, it is a villianous role, which I have only gotten to play once. And third, IT IS NOT A MUSICAL! This is a first for me as I have never not had to sing in any (theatre) show I have ever done! It is definitely a change of pace for me, but at the same time a big breath of fresh air... the old stuff was starting to get stale. The performances will be on February 18th and 19th at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre in Rockville, MD.

Aside from that, I don't really have much other news. I have not seen anything at The Kennedy Center through my internship yet, and I have been too busy with it and rehearsals to have seen any shows so no reviews. Although I will say that my internship is going GREAT. You all should make sure you catch some of the performances! There is a FREE performance every night at 6 pm at the Millennium Stage, and obviously the other shows are of great acclaim, too. Visit the web-site at http://www.kennedy-center.org/.

Thanks for stopping by!

sb.imagery

No comments:

Post a Comment