Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Developments

I figured I would take some time to write about some new theatre projects I'm working on in addition to some photography projects.

I have not been able to do anything in the way of performance since December when I did the USO Christmas Show with the Tantallon Community Players in Fort Washington, MD. I have auditioned for a few things here and there, but I've either just been too busy to do the show or flat out haven't been cast (which is new to me, but I'm learning to deal with it hah). Most recently, I have been asked to Assistant Direct and potentially choreograph The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee with the Tantallon Community Players. The show will be directed by Charla Rowe with auditions on March 20th and 22nd with callbacks on the 23rd.
For more information go to www.tantallonstage.com.
A friend of mine teaches an acting class and is putting together a production of For Colored Girls, which her students will act in, and she asked me to help cast the show and run auditions with her. This actually turned out to be a lot of fun. We played good cop-bad cop because she is really hard on her students in order to get them to act, and there were some good moments through out the audition process. I was impressed by a couple of the students abilities, and I think the show will turn out in the end. I've also been asked to understudy the role of Mr. Lindner in A Raisin in the Sun, which will be opening very shortly, also with the Tantallon Community Players. You won't want to miss this talented cast!

Cast:
Walter Lee Younger - Terry Spann
Ruth Younger - Lolita Marie Clayton
Mama Lena Younger - Robin Dorsey
Travis Younger - Kerrington Banks
Beneatha Younger - Christine Champion
Joseph Asaigi - Jivon Jackson
Karl Lindner - Casey Hebert
Mrs. Johnson - Shemika Berry
Moving Man 1 - Derris Banks
Moving Man 2/Willy - Tim Traylor
George Murchinson - Jeremy McShan
Bobo - Marquis Fair

Production Team:
Producer - Larry Carbaugh
Assistant Producer - Leslie Luense
Director - Rikki Howie
Stage Managers
John Battersby
Derris Banks
Additional Production
Temple Fortson
Anya Nebel
Charla Rowe

On the photography side of the spectrum, I've just been trying to line up shoots for the "Playbill" series I am working on. I need to do two more editorial-narrative shoots and I have to shoot at least three more live productions. I know I definitely need someone to portray the Emcee from Cabaret for one of the shoots. Please give me a shout out if you're interested in helping! And aside from that, I've just been working on portfolio stuff for my personal work and for school, and getting my web-site up and running. It is still a work-in-progress, but you can see what I have so far at www.sbeland.aiwsites.com. Feedback is much appreciated :-)

Unfortunately, thanks to the snow and other extenuating circumstances, I have not been able to check out any productions in the area lately. However, a friend of mine and I are planning to go see In The Heights at the Hippodrome in Baltimore, MD in the next couple of weeks. I recently listened to the original cast recording and I am officially in love with the music, which is written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. Not to mention, my girlfriend Karen Olivo played Vanessa in the original cast (love that woman!). And speaking of Miss Olivo. I'm going to NYC for my birthday! My friend Pam and I plan on seeing West Side Story again while I'm there and perhaps another show. I can't wait! It's gonna be absolutely ridiculous amounts of fun!



Well thanks for checking in! Come back soon for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment